If you’re moving to Grand Rapids, it can work wonders for your health and happiness.
A fresh change of environment can revitalize your spirit. Not to mention it can open you up to better opportunities and a chance to raise your living standards.
With all it offers, it’s no wonder over 200,000 people call this destination home. Health and happiness just tend to flow in River City.
But while living the right lifestyle can make you happier and healthier in your destination, what about the process of getting there? Some worry that moving to Grand Rapids could strain them physically and emotionally, and distract them from taking care of themselves.
With the right strategy and help from our Grand Rapids moving company, you can make this trip enjoyable, guard your health along the way, and set yourself up with good habits once you arrive.
How the Relocation Process Could Impact Your Health
No matter where you’re moving to or from, the relocation process represents a big life change.
You’re uprooting from what’s familiar and heading into a new environment. You’ll also be expending a lot of energy along the way, touching tons of belongings, and potentially neglecting self-care as you go through this transition.
Moving can have both positive and negative impacts on your health, depending on various factors such as the reason for the move, the distance of the move, and the level of stress involved in the process. We can break down the health challenges of relocating into a couple of distinct categories.
The Physical Impact of the Moving Process
Moving can involve physical exertion, such as lifting heavy boxes and furniture, and can lead to soreness, strains, and injuries. Even those who are healthy and active may find that the moving process is a different type of challenge.
When you’re moving to Grand Rapids, you can protect yourself by hiring our movers to handle your packing needs and provide you with professional moving labor. From packing and unpacking to loading and unloading, we do it all so you don’t have to.
The Mental and Emotional Toll of Relocating
We’re all creatures of habit. Even though moving to Grand Rapids can improve your life, this change can take a toll on your mind.
Moving can disrupt routines and social networks, leading to feelings of loneliness, anxiety, and depression. In some cases, moving can also trigger or exacerbate mental health conditions. It can also create a general sense of worry about important matters like:
- Fears of leaving items behind
- Concerns of items being damaged
- Uncertainties about adjusting to the new area
Moving can be an emotional experience, especially if you are leaving behind friends, family, and familiar surroundings. The process of adjusting to a new environment can be challenging and can lead to feelings of homesickness, sadness, and even a bit of a culture shock.
The more help you have, and the higher quality of the Grand Rapids moving service you choose, the less you have to worry about. With professionals planning the logistical aspect of your move, you’ll have more time to let your emotions process and adjust to this change in a positive way.
Overall, moving can impact your health in various ways, and it is important to be aware of these potential impacts and take steps to minimize them.
When you’re looking for moving companies in Grand Rapids MI, pick a team that’s professional, respectful, and easy to work with. Big Lake Movers will have a big impact on your moving experience, making it a positive and enjoyable process from start to finish – contact us today for a free moving estimate.
Moving to Grand Rapids Makes Healthy Living Easy
It’s much easier to prioritize your wellbeing when you’re in an environment that facilitates it. Among its many positive traits, Grand Rapids is a destination that supports a healthy lifestyle.
Eating right, staying physically active, and maintaining social connections can help you manage the stress and other challenges that can come with moving. Here are some of the best locations to support your health and happiness in your new home.
Healthy Food and Restaurants in Grand Rapids
We are what we eat – some people even say food is the best medicine. Staying healthy in Grand Rapids means knowing where to find the best dining options for your body and your mind.
Whether you’re looking to make your meals at home or go out and enjoy them, this city has plenty of health-conscious options to choose from.
There are several healthy restaurants and grocery stores in and around Grand Rapids, Michigan. Here are some options:
- Terra GR – This farm-to-table restaurant offers a menu featuring locally sourced ingredients and gluten-free, vegetarian, and vegan options.
- The Green Well – This dining location features a menu with organic, sustainable, and locally sourced ingredients, including gluten-free and vegetarian options.
- Grove – This restaurant offers a farm-to-table experience with an emphasis on using locally sourced ingredients. It also offers vegan and gluten-free options.
- Juice Nation – This juice bar offers cold-pressed juices, smoothies, and salads made with fresh, organic ingredients.
- Harvest Health Foods – This natural and organic grocery store offers a wide selection of organic produce, bulk items, vitamins and supplements, and natural and organic personal care products.
- Fresh Thyme Farmers Market – This grocery store offers natural and organic foods, including a large selection of organic produce, gluten-free products, and a bulk section.
- The Fresh Market – This specialty grocery store offers a selection of natural and organic foods, including organic produce, meat, and dairy products, and a large selection of gluten-free and allergy-friendly options.
Grand Rapids Amenities That Show Off the Area’s Beauty
Eating the right way is a big part of health. But what about staying active? Better yet, what about doing it with the sun on your skin and nature’s beauty surrounding you?
Moving to Grand Rapids is ideal for people who enjoy physical activity and the great outdoors.
There are several outdoor amenities and attractions in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Here are some options:
- Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park – This 158-acre park features several outdoor gardens, a sculpture park, a boardwalk through wetlands, and a Japanese garden.
- Millennium Park – This park features a beach, swimming, boating, and fishing on a 100-acre lake, as well as hiking and biking trails, and picnic areas.
- Grand Rapids Public Museum – This museum features an outdoor area with historic buildings, including a working 1928 carousel, a blacksmith shop, and a one-room schoolhouse.
- John Ball Zoo – This zoo features several outdoor exhibits, including a tiger exhibit, a chimpanzee exhibit, and a children’s zoo.
- Blandford Nature Center – This 264-acre nature center features several hiking trails, a wildlife education center, and a farm with farm animals.
Other outdoor amenities and attractions in Grand Rapids include the Grand River, Frederik Meijer White Pine Trail and Riverside Park. You’ll find the perfect setting whether you want intense outdoor exercise or just a way to stay active and keep moving.
Affordability and Safety
For its size and features, Grand Rapids is affordable compared to similar cities. The cost of living can vary depending on your lifestyle. Generally, you’ll need a salary of $40,000 to live comfortably.
The cost of groceries in Grand Rapids is generally lower than the national average, including for the health foods we mentioned. Even healthcare in Grand Rapids is generally lower than the national average, though costs can vary depending on individual needs and insurance coverage.
Overall, Grand Rapids offers the economic stability to support a healthy lifestyle. There are also a wide variety of safe, highly reviewed, family friendly neighborhoods to choose from, each with its own attractions and amenities. Popular neighborhoods in Grand Rapids include:
- East Grand Rapids – The famous East Grand Rapids neighborhood is known for its excellent school system, beautiful parks, and quiet, tree-lined streets.
- Forest Hills – This neighborhood is located just outside of Grand Rapids and is known for its top-rated schools, spacious homes, and family-friendly atmosphere.
- Heritage Hill – Heritage Hill is located just south of downtown Grand Rapids and is known for its historic homes, diverse community, and proximity to downtown attractions.
- Alger Heights – This neighborhood is located on the southeast side of Grand Rapids and is known for its affordable homes, excellent schools, and active community.
- Rockford – Beautiful Rockford is located just north of Grand Rapids and is known for its excellent schools, beautiful parks, and small-town atmosphere.
Other neighborhoods worth considering for families in Grand Rapids include Cascade, Wyoming, and Ada. These neighborhoods offer a range of housing options, excellent schools, and access to parks and other family-friendly amenities.
The median home price in Grand Rapids is around $250,000, which is lower than the national median home price. Renting a one-bedroom apartment in Grand Rapids can cost around $1,000 per month.
As a Grand Rapids moving specialist, we know all about the need for a safe and hospitable residence. Wherever you’re going to seek health and happiness, let us be your moving partner for the trip.
Whether you’ve got a multi-story home to fill or you’re looking to maneuver your items into a cozier space, we’ve got the skills to safely and swiftly move your belongings and get you set up. Contact our Grand Rapids moving service today for a free estimate.
Preparing Your Location After Moving to Grand Rapids
Once you make the move to Grand Rapids, it’s easy to eagerly rush into your new residence.
However, a bit of preliminary work can make all the difference in preparing your location. The right cleaning processes can greatly reduce the chance you’ll get sick during the high-contact and fast-paced nature of moving day.
Sanitize High-Touch Areas
High-touch areas tend to see the most contact and therefore accumulate the most germs. Especially when you’re heading into a new home or business, make sure you clean and sanitize surfaces like:
- Door knobs
- Light switches
- Remote controls
- Faucet handles
- Refrigerator handles
- Microwave handles
Be sure to regularly clean these high touch spots, as disinfecting them will minimize the likelihood of germ transmission. If you can, clean and disinfect your new home before you move in so you don’t have to worry about it as soon as you get there.
Minimize Your Contact with Boxes
Moving boxes could also be called high-touch surfaces, since they can pass through a lot of hands during the typical relocation process.
The more you touch items that have been in contact with others, the more likely it is that you could get sick. What’s the solution? Minimize your contact. Let your skilled Grand Rapids moving company be the ones who carry these boxes, and you’ll reduce health risks.
Keep Cleaning Supplies Close
During moving day, avoid touching your face and make sure you wash your hands often. You’ll have an easier time staying hygienic if you keep one moving box with you containing the cleaning items you’ll need. These include:
- Hand sanitizer
- Cleaning wipes for surfaces
Pack these supplies together, and either keep the box with you or make sure it’s loaded last – that way it can be unloaded first. Prioritize cleaning your location, and you’ll greatly increase the chance of staying healthy when you move.
Moving to Grand Rapids? Our Moving Company Can Support You
The thought of moving to a new location is exciting, especially when you’re moving to a city like Grand Rapids.
You likely have high hopes for your life in your new location, which means you should focus on staying healthy and happy during the journey, as well as at the destination. While putting down roots in a new area and the moving process itself both make it easy to neglect good health habits, it’s possible to prioritize yourself and enjoy this experience to the fullest.
Our Grand Rapids moving company brings all the credentials and services you need to ease the stress of this transition. We are:
- Fully licensed and insured
- Highly reviewed by previous customers
- Equipped to move homes and businesses
We bring the right amount of moving labor for the job, plus high-quality moving supplies and spacious trucks to safely transport all of your items. This gives you more time to focus on yourself and your family – and to prepare for the new life ahead of you.
If you’re on the search for moving companies in Grand Rapids MI, look no further. Our skilled movers will meet all your needs so you can stay healthy, happy, and hopeful for your future during this important time in your life. Contact us today for a free moving estimate.